Aam Panna is a refreshing summer drink that’s made with raw mangoes. It’s sweet, sour, slightly spicy and really packs a punch. It’s also great for digestion and something our grandmothers made sure we had every time we’d run out on a hot afternoon to play.
This summer is a HOT one, so I’m all about staying hydrated and energized as best as I can!
Aam Panna (also known as Aam Jhora and Kairi Panha) is the perfect summer refresher that I have been making all the time now – with raw green mangoes that you’ll find in season currently.
Looking for more Summer Drinks? Try Cold Coffee – 3 Delicious Ways, 3 Chaas Recipes, Thandai, Watermelon Lime Smoothie and Hibiscus Tea
That’s right – raw mangoes. They need love too! We balance out their sourness with sugar and spices in this raw mango drink, making for a really tasty summer treat.
Not only is Aam Panna delicious, it is also rich in Vitamin C and great for digestion so you can have it after meals or throughout the day.
This drink is reminiscent of childhood summers for me. It was the drink my grandmother would have ready for us at home when we’d come back from playing in the sun – and man, do I remember the feeling of that first sip to this day! Now, it’s what I make for my family in the hot afternoons. Truly a recipe that sticks with you over the years!
What goes into Aam Panna
- Raw Green Mangoes (also known as Kairi) – These are in season right now! Use fresh kairi instead of dried for this recipe.
- Mint Leaves – These add that *freshness* to the drink!
- Roasted and Powdered Cumin Seeds – Cumin is a cooling agent, so this ingredient adds an extra boost to this hydrating raw mango drink. It also has a distinct flavor that, in my opinion, always has a place in summer drinks (think: jeera soda!)
- Salt, Sugar, Kala Namak – To flavor the drink and balance the sourness of the raw mangoes!
- Water – the base of this raw mango drink!
How to make Aam Panna
Here’s a step by step picture collage to show you how to make Aam Panna
1. Add raw mango and water to a pressure cooker. Cover the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles on low heat. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
2. Remove the lid of the pressure cooker.
3. Squeeze out the pulp from the mangoes.
4. Discard the skin and seed once all the pulp is extracted.
5. Add the pulp to a blender along with rock salt, jeera powder, sugar, chilli and mint leaves.
6. Blend to a slightly coarse-textured paste and set aside.
7. This concentrate can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks
8. Combine water and aam panna concentrate in a 1:1 ratio – for every 1 cup of concentrate, you mix 1 cup of water. Combine well and serve as a beverage!
9. Using the same 1:1 ratio, combine water and aam panna concentrate. Transfer these into popsicle moulds and place in the freezer.
10. Freeze for 4-6 hours or until properly frozen. Remove from mould when required and serve the popsicles!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is aam panna made of?
Aam panna is made using boiled and pureed raw green mangoes, mint leaves, water and spices.
- Is aam panna fermented?
This is not a fermented drink – you can consume it immediately after preparing it!
- Is aam panna good for health?
Yes, Aam Panna has natural cooling properties, is rich in Vitamin C and minerals such as sodium, magnesium and potassium, and helps regulate the digestive process – making it a healthy summer drink.
- Is aam panna served hot or cold?
It is served chilled, poured over ice for the most refreshing experience.
- How long can I store aam panna?
You can store the aam panna concentrate (without mixing with water) for 2-3 weeks in the fridge
Aam Panna and it’s Cooling Properties
In the summers, we remove a lot of sodium from the body through sweat. A lack of sodium in the body can lead to heart conditions such as strokes and cardiac arrests. Drinking panna balances the sodium levels (as the drink is rich in electrolytes) in the body, maintaining good heart health.
You can drink aam panna as is, or turn them into fun popsicles. The recipe below is for an concentrate which should be diluted with water in a 1:1 ratio. This drink can then be served chilled or filled in popsicle molds and frozen.
Give this drink a go on the next hot afternoon and trust me, you will feel refreshed and energized all day long!
Watch the Recipe Video
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Subscribe to my newsletter and be the first to receive all new recipes!
Aam Panna + Popsicles
Aam Panna is an Indian summer drink that’s made with green mangoes or raw mangoes. It has cooling, digestive properties and has a sweet, sour, tangy, minty flavour that’s so so good on a hot summer afternoon!
Servings: 8 people
Aam Panna Beverage and Popsicle
Add raw mango and water to a pressure cooker. Cover the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles on low heat. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Remove the lid and squeeze out the pulp from the mangoes. Discard the skin and seed once all the pulp is extracted.
Add the pulp to a blender along with rock salt, jeera powder, sugar, chilli and mint leaves. Blend to a slightly coarse-textured paste and set aside. This concentrate can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks
Aam Panna Beverage
Combine water and aam panna concentrate in a 1:1 ratio – for every 1 cup of concentrate, you mix 1 cup of water.
Combine well and serve as a beverage!
Aam Panna Popsicles
Using the same 1:1 ratio, combine water and aam panna concentrate. Transfer these into popsicle moulds and place in the freezer.
Freeze for 4-6 hours or until properly frozen. Remove from mould when required and serve the popsicles!
- If you’d like to make this even easier, peel and cut the raw mango and then pressure cook it as described in Step 1. This way you won’t have to deal with the peel or seed later
- Choose sour, raw mangoes only. The riper the mango, the more different the flavour
Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 0.4g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 118mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 744IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg