This apple pie with crumb topping has the best of both worlds- a buttery crust filled with apples and topped with the best crumb top.
If you’ve made an apple crisp before, you may be familiar with a apple crumb pie.
It’s a cross between a crisp and an apple pie, but instead of a lattice crust on top, it’s replaced with a crumb topping. It’s delicious, full of texture, and so easy to make.
Why this recipe works
- Simple ingredients. Basic pantry and refrigerator staples that you probably already have on hand!
- Easily made vegan and gluten free. With just a few simple swaps, we can adjust this to suit any diet out there.
- Minimal prep needed. You’ll only need 5 minutes of prep time to make this, with the oven taking care of everything!
What I also love about this apple pie is that there is no syrup or liquid added to the filling. This helps immensely when I’m baking this pie for a party or a holiday event, because I can bake it several days in advance, and I don’t have to worry about the crumb topping going soggy!
Don’t let the pie concept scare you off- This apple crumb pie recipe is so easy to make and requires no fancy kitchen gadgets. Overall, you need less than 8 ingredients to put it all together!
- Pie Crust. You’ll need to use a crust to fit a 9-inch pan.
- Apples. A must for an apple recipe! I recommend using green apples (granny smith, or similar) as the tartness complements the sugar. However, red varieties can also be used. You want the apples to be sliced, not chopped.
- Sugar of choice. Any sugar can be used. White, brown, coconut, or unrefined sugar.
- All purpose flour. Regular or gluten free flour.
- Cinnamon. A must in any recipe that uses apples! The spices take the apple pie to another level!
- Walnuts. For the added streusel topping! You can omit this, or substitute it with pecans or hazelnuts.
- Butter. Standard butter or to keep it vegan, swap it out for a dairy free blend.
How to make an apple crumb pie
Start by preparing your pie crust, or setting up your store bought one.
Next, prepare the apple pie filling by adding the sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar, and flour into a large mixing bowl.
Now, in a separate bowl, prepare the crumble topping.
Next, assemble the pie by adding the apple filling into the pie crust, then sprinkling the crumble over the top.
Finally, bake until the crumb topping has become golden brown and the apples are tender. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- The pie can be prepared up to 3 days in advance before you plan to serve it. Simply reheat in the oven for 10 minutes, or until warm.
- Using sliced apples instead of chopped apples is more authentic to a Dutch apple pie. For a traditional apple pie, you can use chopped apples.
- The crumb topping is optional- If you’d prefer to have a lattice or pie crust on top instead, simply prepare the double pie crust.
Wondering what is the best way to store leftovers? Here are best practices for apple pie storage:
- To store: Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. The pie will keep well for up to 2 weeks. Let the pie sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before enjoying it. If you’d like it warm, heat it up in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- To freeze: You can either freeze the pie or as individual slices. If you freeze the whole pie, cover in plastic wrap completely. If you do individual slices, place them in a shallow container. The frozen pie will keep well for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- To reheat: Your pie must be room temperature before reheating. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and once warm, heat for 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
The major difference between a Dutch apple pie and a crumb pie is the ingredients in the crumb topping. Whereas the latter uses a mix that is often found on a crumble. The former uses nuts and seeds in it.
This pie is not the best to make without a crust, as you risk the crumb topping becoming soggy.
For the apple pie filling
Prepare your pie crust or use a store bought pie crust. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
In a large mixing bowl, prepare your apple pie filling. Add your sliced apples, sugar of choice, cinnamon, and flour and mix well.
In a separate bowl, prepare your crumb topping. Add your sugar of choice, flour, and chopped walnuts, and mix well. Add your melted butter and mix until a crumbly texture remains.
Transfer the apple pie filling into the prepared pie crust. Cover the top of the pie with the crumble mixture.
Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes, or until the crumble has turned golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes, before serving.
TO FREEZE: You can either freeze the pie as a whole or as individual slices. If you freeze the whole pie, cover in plastic wrap completely. If you do individual slices, place them in a shallow container. The frozen pie will keep well for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
TO REHEAT: Your pie must be room temperature before reheating. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and once warm, heat for 10 minutes.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 272kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 16g | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 68mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 288IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 33g