Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes Prepare dinner Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
A creamy fall mac and cheese with butternut squash puree and sage!
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-absolutely free for gluten-totally free)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-goal flour (rice flour for gluten-absolutely free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk (or broth)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded*
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (or pumpkin puree)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start off cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, soften the butter in a massive saucepan above medium heat and prepare dinner until eventually it commences to change a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkling in the flour, blend in the garlic and sage and cook, mixing, till it turns a light-weight golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Include the milk, provide to a simmer, mixing, and cook until eventually it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Lessen the warmth, add the cheese and permit it melt into the sauce.
- Blend in the nutmeg, mustard, and butternut squash puree in advance of seasoning with salt and pepper to flavor.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking h2o.
- Blend the pasta into the sauce, optionally introducing some of the reserved cooking drinking water to slender the sauce out, if wished-for.
Option: Use your favourite cheese or mixture of cheeses. I like solid cheddar or gruyere, fontiona, and many others. along with parmesan, pecorino, etc. Blue cheese is astounding with butternut squash!
Alternative: Incorporate 4 ounces product cheese in addition to the shredded cheese!
Selection: Top with a crispy breadcrumb topping! (Melt 1/4 cup butt in a pan, incorporate 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, blend and cook until evenly golden brown right before sprinkling above the mac and cheese!
Choice: Garnish with crispy butter fried sage!
Solution: Garnish with bacon, or pancetta, or sausage, or shredded pepperoni! (Fried till crispy!)
Option: Garnish with sauteed mushrooms!
Selection: Garnish with pepitas!