Do you have a big ghostbusters fan in the house? Then a ghostbuster birthday cake will be the right surprise for such a fan. I bring to you one of the best ghostbusters birthday cake recipes.
This stunning ghostbuster birthday cake is a classic vanilla layer cake draped in vanilla buttercream on the inside. And comes decorated with cute little ghostbusters on top.
To make the vanilla cake, you will need simple ingredients such as cake flour, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extracts, and buttermilk. These ingredients will give you one of the most delicious, crumbly, and pillowy soft ghostbusters birthday cakes.
Once you are done baking the cake, I will take you through the steps to decorate it in simple yet fascinating ways. Moreover, I will also tell you some tricks, tips, and ways to decorate your cake. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Ghostbusters Birthday Cake?
- Bowl – You will need a bowl to combine all the dry ingredients.
- Cake Pans – You will require three 9’’ pans to bake the cake.
- Spatula – A spatula will help you mix ingredients and scrape the sides of the bowl or mixer.
- Parchment Paper – You will need parchment paper to line the cake pans to prevent the cake from sticking to the base.
- Stand Mixer – A stand mixer or hand-held mixer will help to combine and whisk the ingredients.
- Knife – You will need a serrated knife to slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface.
- Oven – You will need an oven to bake the cake.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Ghostbusters Birthday Cake?
|Preparation Time||Cook Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|35 Minutes||25 Minutes||1 Hour||2 Hours|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Ghostbusters Birthday Cake?
For The Cake
- Cake Flour – To make the cake, you will require 3 and ⅔ cups of flour.
- Salt – 1 teaspoon of salt will help elevate the flavors.
- Baking Powder and Soda – We will require 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 3/4 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Butter – You will require 1 and 1/2 cups of unsalted butter softened to room temperature.
- Granulated Sugar – 2 cups of granulated sugar will provide sweetness to your cake.
- Eggs – You will also require 3 large eggs + 2 additional egg whites at room temperature. The eggs will provide structure and moisture and keep the cake light and airy.
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract is required to achieve the desired vanilla flavor.
- Buttermilk – We will also use 1 and 1/2 cups of buttermilk at room temperature to have a spongy and crumbly consistency.
- Unsalted Butter – To make the buttercream for the frosting, you will need 1 and 1/2 cups softened to room temperature.
- Confectioners’ Sugar – To make your buttercream sweet, you will also need 5 and 1/2 cups of confectioners’ sugar.
- Whole Milk or Heavy Cream – To combine all the ingredients together, you will require ⅓ cup whole milk and heavy cream.
- Vanilla Extract – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons will help you achieve the desired vanilla flavor.
- Salt – We will also add 1/8 teaspoon salt to enhance the flavors and balance out the sweetness.
Steps To Make Ghostbusters Birthday Cake
Prepare The Cake Batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease three 9-inch cake pans and line them with parchment paper. Take a bowl and whisk the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set it aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle or hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Now beat in the 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, and vanilla extract on high speed until combined, for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Put the mixer on low speed, and add the dry ingredients just until combined. Now with the mixer still running on low, pour in the buttermilk and mix just until combined. Make sure there are no lumps left. The batter will be slightly thick.
Bake The Cake
1. Now that the cake batter is prepared, pour the batter evenly into three cake pans. Make sure to pour an equal quantity of batter into all three cake pans. You can also weigh them to ensure accuracy.
2. Bake the cakes for around 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add more confectioners’ sugar if the frosting is too thin or more milk if the frosting is too thick.
- This vanilla buttercream recipe yields about 6 cups of frosting. You can use about 1.5 heaping cups of buttercream between each cake layer and reserve the last 3 cups for covering the outside of the cake.
Assemble The Cake
Take a large serrated knife and slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and evenly cover the top with about 1 and 1/2 cups of frosting using a spatula. Now place the 2nd cake layer on top and evenly cover the top with about 1 and 1/2 cups of frosting. Top this layer with the third cake layer and spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
One the cake is nicely covered with frosting, refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour.
Decorate The Cake
Now comes the most exciting part. It’s time to turn this simple cake into a Ghostbusters theme cake. To decorate the cake, you can select between three choices of topping for the cake. You can make Ghostbusters on the cake using royal icing, whipped cream, or fondant.
To make a Ghostbuster using royal icing, you can prepare the basic royal icing recipe using powdered sugar, egg whites, and water. You can then divide it into three different bowls and add red and green food colors to it to make Ghostbusters. Or else you can get ready-made colored fondant from your bakery supply store and, using Ghostbuster cookie cutters, cut out the fondant Ghostbuster and place it on top of the cake.
How To Make Royal Icing?
- Take a bowl and whisk 2 egg whites until light and foamy. Gradually add the 3 cups of powdered sugar and water one teaspoon at a time. Keep adding water until you reach the perfect consistency.
- To check the consistency, you can make the figure of eight with the icing on top of the prepared icing. You will know that you have reached the correct royal icing consistency once the figure of eight forms disappears in a few minutes.
- Make sure that the icing is stiff enough to pipe but not too runny. Now divide the royal icing into three bowls. Color one bowl of royal icing with black color and the second one with red. Once you have three colors of royal icing, that is, original white, red royal icing, and black pour them into piping bags. Now using your creativity, you can make a ghostbuster on the center of the cake.
How To Make Ghostbusters Fondant Toppers?
- To make ghostbuster fondant toppers, you will need a ghostbuster cookie cutter and white fondant. Roll the fondant dough to ½ inch thickness. With the help of a Ghostbusters cookie cutter, cut out any number of Ghostbusters you wish to add to the cake.
- Now take red, black, and yellow food colors and paint the fondant Ghostbusters to make them colorful. You paint the ring of the Ghostbusters with red food colors and carve its facial features using black color.
How to Store Ghostbusters Birthday Cake?
You can store the leftover Ghostbuster birthday cake in an airtight box in the refrigerator for upto 5 days.
Additionally, you can also bake the cake layers one day before and keep them covered tightly at room temperature overnight. Likewise, the frosting can also be prepared, covered, and refrigerated overnight.
Before you assemble the cake, let the frosting sit at room temperature to soften slightly for 10 minutes.
|Saturated Fat||94 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||39 g|
|Trans Fat||6 g|
How Will Ghostbusters Birthday Cake Look And Taste Like?
This ghostbusters birthday cake tastes absolutely incredible. It is rich in vanilla flavor and looks super adorable with its ghostbusters decoration. One important tip you should always remember while baking is to use room-temperature ingredients unless specified. When all the cake ingredients are roughly at the same temperature, this helps the batter to mix together evenly. This also reduces the risk of over-mixing and over-baking.
Ghostbusters Birthday Cake Recipe
With its glorious vanilla flavor and creamy vanilla buttercream, this ghostbuster birthday cake is the perfect gift for anyone. You can also make it for Halloween!
- 3 2/3 cup Cake Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 11/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 11/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 51/2 cup Confectioners’ Sugar
- 11/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup Whole Milk or Heavy Cream
- 11/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 4 ounces Fondant
- Red Color
- Black Color
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease three 9-inch cake pans; line them with parchment paper.
Whisk the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
Using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter and sugar together for about 3 minutes on high speed until smooth and creamy.
Beat in the 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, and vanilla extract on high speed until combined for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
Put the mixer on low speed and add the dry ingredients just until combined.
With the mixer still running on low, pour in the buttermilk and mix just until combined. The batter will be slightly thick.
Pour the batter evenly into three cake pans and bake for around 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans before frosting and assembling.
Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed in a large bowl until creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
Add more confectioners’ sugar if the frosting is too thin, more milk if the frosting is too thick, or an extra pinch of salt if the frosting is too sweet.
Assemble The Cake
Take a large serrated knife, and slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface.
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and evenly cover the top with about 1 and 1/2 cups of frosting using a spatula. Now place the 2nd cake layer on top and evenly cover the top with about 1 and 1/2 cups of frosting. Top this layer with the third cake layer and spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour before decorating.
Decorate The Cake
Roll the fondant dough to ½ inch thickness.
With the help of a ghostbuster’s cookie cutter, cut out the number of ghostbusters toppers you wish to add to the cake.
Now take red, black, and yellow food colors and paint the fondant ghostbusters to make them colorful.
You paint the ring of the ghostbusters with red food colors and carve its facial features using black color.
Calories: 2437kcal | Carbohydrates: 276g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 149g | Saturated Fat: 94g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 39g | Trans Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 429mg | Sodium: 445mg | Potassium: 226mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 247g | Vitamin A: 4664IU | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 1mg