This easy, no-fuss Beef and Cabbage Soup is satisfying, filling, and deliciously (and naturally) low carb! Filled with tender stew meat, fresh bell peppers, and heaps of cabbage, this slightly spicy soup works great served over some riced cauliflower or all on its own. For the carb-lovers in your life, you can also serve with steamed rice.
Low Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup
Being brand new to the low carb world, I was a little nervous that I’d miss some of my favorite flavors and textures in my food. This was my first meal revamp, and is a low carb play on our Smoked Stuffed Pepper Stew. We threw out the corn and the white rice in that recipe in tossed in a healthy amount of cabbage and riced cauliflower.
This was my first experience with riced cauliflower, and I was more than pleasantly surprised. It is shockingly similar in texture to rice, and the flavor wasn’t super evident when mixed in with this super flavorful soup.
Low Carb Beef and Cabbage Soup shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- stew meat
- olive oil
- red bell pepper
- yellow bell pepper
- dry red wine
- canned San Marzano tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- Hungarian paprika
- Johnny’s Au Jus Powder (or beef bouillon)
- tri-color cabbage
How to make Spicy Beef and Cabbage Soup
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Preheat oil in a Dutch Oven and brown the stew meat in batches. Remove when done browning.
Melt some butter in the Dutch Oven. Cook the onions for a few minutes and then add in the bell peppers and cook some more. Add the garlic in last.
Make the soup
Add in the wine, simmer for a few minutes. Add in the water and the rest of the ingredients (except the cabbage) to the pot. Simmer for an hour.
Next add the cabbage and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Cook until tender
At this point your meat will likely be tender, but if it isn’t, continue simmering the soup over medium-low heat until the meat is tender.
Serve as is, or over riced cauliflower.
Beef and Cabbage Soup FAQ
Yup! You can use your favorite beef bouillon if you don’t have the Au Jus powder.
These are easily reheated in the microwave. Store the riced cauliflower separately from the soup.
Follow me on Instagram!
More great low carb recipes to enjoy
1 hour 15 minutes
1 hour 35 minutes
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 8 cups water
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoon Johnny’s Au Jus Powder
- 16 ounces tri-color cabbage, shredded
- Preheat the olive oil in a large Dutch Oven over medium heat. Season the stew meat with the salt and pepper. Brown in small batches and set aside once browned.
- In the same Dutch Oven, melt the butter and cook the onions and diced bell peppers for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the garlic for the last minute of cooking, and stir while sauteing.
- Pour in the red wine and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, paprika, and Au Jus powder. Bring the soup to a simmer and let cook for 1 hour.
- Add the cabbage and let cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over steamed riced cauliflower.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 320Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 395mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 39g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate.