Turkey can be enjoyed all year long, but having turkey on Thanksgiving truly makes it a special experience. Don’t have enough time to prepare a whole turkey? Well, you can still enjoy the flavors of Thanksgiving in an easier way with some Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers!
These burgers made with freshly ground turkey are so delicious you probably may never look at a turkey the same way. There are also chances that this burger will turn out so epic that you may even change your burger preferences to turkey burgers after trying this out!
Moreover, it may seem like a task to make burgers of your own. However, trust me, this is so much more time efficient for anyone who wants to enjoy a homemade turkey meal but also does not have the time to go through the whole process of preparing a full turkey.
So, for anyone out there looking to enjoy Thanksgiving flavors in the simplest way possible on the actual holiday or maybe even later, this recipe should surely be worth a try! Before we get to the actual method of how these burgers are made, I have shared a detailed guide on the equipment needed to make them.
Moreover, I have also shared the amount of time you will need and also the ingredients you will need to make the burgers, finally followed by the method and nutritional information. So, let us get into this recipe of a Thanksgiving turkey revelation!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers?
- Bowl – You will need a large bowl to mix all the ingredients together before forming them into turkey patties. A few small bowls will also be required to store the rest of the ingredients.
- Spoon – A few teaspoons and tablespoons can be a helpful tool, especially to weigh out seasonings and spices, just to get a more precise measurement. You will also need a large wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients together while cooking them.
- Spatula – A metal spatula or just any large flat spoon is a handy tool for flipping burgers on the grill.
- Skillet – To cook the turkey along with the sweet potatoes and other added flavorings, a skillet will be required.
- Cast Iron Skillet – In case you don’t have a grill at home, which I feel might be the case with a lot of people, a cast iron skillet works best when it comes to cooking burgers.
- Oven Tray – Before adding the sweet potatoes to the patty mix, you will have to bake them for a while in the oven, just till they are soft. So, an oven-safe tray needs to be used for the same.
- Paring Knife – To check if the sweet potatoes are cooked properly or not, you will have to insert a paring knife into the potato.
- Meat Thermometer – A meat thermometer is an optional piece of equipment, of course, especially if you are a pro at making burgers! However, I would still recommend using one of these to know the precise temperature of your burger and how long it needs to be grilled further so that it doesn’t turn into a dry mess.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|40 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour 20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers?
- Ground Turkey Leg – The first and most important part of our thanksgiving turkey burgers is the ground turkey leg. I would recommend using the leg rather than any other part of the turkey, as the other parts do tend to get dry more quickly. For four portions of turkey burgers, you will need around 1 pound and 5 ounces of ground turkey leg.
- Sweet Potato – Sweet potato adds a starchy element to the burger patty and also acts as a wonderful binding agent. Moreover, it will also help enhance the flavor of the patty. For this recipe, one medium-sized sweet potato, which weighs anywhere between 5-8 ounces, should suffice.
- Yellow Onion – Onion adds a lot of flavor to anything that it is added to, almost a staple for many recipes. For this recipe, half a yellow or white onion will do, which roughly adds up to around ⅓ cup once chopped. You can also use red onion if you would like; however, it will comparatively have a very pungent flavor.
- Garlic – Garlic is again one of those staples that work out perfectly when you need added flavor. A teaspoon of freshly minced garlic will be enough for this recipe, which is equivalent to about three small cloves.
- Sage – Is it even a Thanksgiving meal if there is no sage added to the food? Being one of the staple ingredients in any Thanksgiving preparation, sage can surely not be missed out in this recipe! Use two teaspoons of finely chopped sage leaves.
- Black Pepper – Since we will already be using a lot of toppings for added flavor with this Thanksgiving Turkey burger, just a simple dash of black pepper is enough seasoning for the same. A more precise measurement will be one teaspoon.
- Salt – Salt is the ever-important seasoning, which of course, cannot be missed out in any recipe. A teaspoon of salt will be needed for this recipe.
- Oil – For searing the burgers, you will need some oil. Any sort of oil that does not have too strong a flavor will do in this recipe.
- Butter – You will need just a tablespoon of butter to sear the onions and make the burger patty mixture. Butter will also add more flavor as compared to oil, so it is always a better option.
- Brioche Rolls – Of course, buns or rolls will be needed to complete the burger! You can use any buns of your choice. However, brioche rolls will give you that buttery goodness. You can use store-bought ones or even make some of your own following simple recipes.
- Cranberry Mayo – Cranberry sauce is as important as any other dish on a thanksgiving platter. But, since mayonnaise is a popular condiment added to burgers, you can use some cranberry mayo instead of regular old cranberry sauce. For a single burger, a teaspoon of cranberry mayo will do.
- Spinach – Finally, to add a fresh and crunchy element to your burger, you can use some fresh spinach leaves in place of lettuce to give it a more thanksgiving-friendly flavor.
Steps To Make Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers
1. Prepare The Sweet Potato
The first step to making thanksgiving turkey burgers is to prepare the sweet potatoes. For this, poke as many holes as you can with a fork into the sweet potato. Once you feel the holes are enough, bake the potato in a preheated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, or until you insert a paring knife and the insides are soft.
Once the potato is properly baked, slit it vertically from the center and let it cool for around 10 minutes. Once it is cool enough, remove the skin and mash the potatoes thoroughly. These mashed potatoes will be used to make the patty mixture.
2. Prepare The Patty Mixture
Once the sweet potato is cooling, you can start preparing the patty mixture. For that, melt the butter in a skillet and add the chopped yellow onion. To this, add the garlic mince and let this cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
Once the onions are done, take them off the heat and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the ground turkey, sweet potatoes, and sage. Once the onions are a little cool, add them to this patty blend and mix further. Once properly mixed, form four patties out of the mixture.
3. Cook The Burger Patties
As soon as the raw patties are formed, you can begin cooking them. For that, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat with just a few teaspoons of oil. Once the skillet starts smoking a bit, add in the burger patties and sprinkle some salt and pepper on them. Smash them and let them cook for 5 minutes on each side.
However, at this point, I would recommend using the meat thermometer as it will surely give you a much more accurate reading of how well the patties are cooked. The temperature, once you insert the meat thermometer, should be somewhere between 145 degrees Fahrenheit to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Once they have reached this temperature, take the patties off the stove immediately.
4. Assemble The Burgers
The final step, once everything is ready, is to assemble these delicious Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers! For that, first split the brioche rolls from the center and then toast each side for a minute or two in the same cast iron skillet.
Once the rolls are toasted, apply some cranberry mayo on the base and top it with some fresh spinach leaves. Add the patty on top of this, and if you want, you can also add a slice of American cheese for added flavor. However, that is completely optional. Voila! Just like that, your Thanksgiving Turkey Burger is ready!
What Can Be Served Along With Thanksgiving Turkey Burgers?
- Stuffing – Stuffing is an important part of a Thanksgiving meal. So, although the turkey burger itself has no stuffing in it, you can serve some stuffing on the side, just for added and complete Thanksgiving indulgence.
- Sweet Potato Fries – If sweet potatoes are a staple for you on Thanksgiving, you can serve this burger along with some delicious, lightly seasoned sweet potato fries. These fries can be baked or fried, as per your preference.
- Cajun Fries – Want some added spice to your meal? Try pairing the turkey burgers with some cajun fries, just to get an added spice factor.
- Poutine – This may seem a little too far off to some of you; however, poutine is a great option to serve with Thanksgiving turkey burgers. Now I am surely not talking about elevated flavored poutines, as they might be a bit too much. But, just some simple fries topped with thanksgiving gravy and cheese curds will surely do the trick.
- Zucchini Fries – If too many potatoes are something you aren’t really into, try making some simple zucchini fries which will pair really well with this Thanksgiving Turkey burger.
- Onion Rings – Who said burgers could be enjoyed just with fries? Onion rings paired with this burger are truly divine, and a little trick is to add an onion ring inside the burger for some extra crispy goodness!
|Saturated Fat||5 grams|
|Vitamin A||525 micrograms|
|Vitamin C||6 milligrams|
How Will The Thanksgiving Turkey Burger Look And Taste Like?
Once all the work in the kitchen is over, it is finally time to devour everything that you made! But, while following an online recipe, most of us are hit with this one question, which is, what is it supposed to look and taste like? Let me tell you exactly what this burger is supposed to look and taste like!
At first glance, this burger will look just like any other regular old burger. Of course, the color of this burger will be lighter as compared to a regular beef burger since we will be using turkey here. The addition of spinach, cranberry mayo, and an optional slice of cheese will surely add a lot of color to a plain old burger. Moreover, this burger is truly hearty too.
Finally, as we get to the taste of this burger, if I just had to use a word to describe it, it would be ‘heavenly.’ This burger literally tastes like Thanksgiving packed between a bun. The turkey, mixed along with the sweet potato, has a mix of umami and a slightly sweet flavor, which is balanced perfectly well.
Moreover, the cranberry mayo adds a balanced sweet, tart, and also creamy flavor to the burger. Lastly, the spinach adds crunch and also a bitter-sweet taste, which all, when tasted together, is marvelous!
Thanksgiving Turkey Burger Recipe
Thanksgiving is truly the perfect time to enjoy some turkey and cranberry sauce. But, what if you crave a Thanksgiving meal after the holiday? For that, you need to try out this really easy and delicious Thanksgiving Turkey Burger Recipe!
- 1.5 pound Ground Turkey Leg
- 8 ounces Sweet Potato
- 1/3 cup Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Chopped Sage
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 4 nos. Brioche Rolls
- 4 teaspoons Cranberry Mayo
- 4 nos. Spinach Leaves
Poke the sweet potato with a fork and bake it in a preheated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
Once the potato is fully baked, slit it open and let it cool for 10 minutes. Remove the flesh from inside and keep it aside.
Melt butter in a skillet and add chopped yellow onion, minced garlic and cook them for 5-10 minutes, until they are soft.
In a bowl, mix the ground turkey, sweet potato and sage and add in the cooked onions, once they are a little cool.
Once everything is thoroughly mixed, make four patties out of the mixture.
Heat a cast iron skillet with oil for a few minutes and then add in the burger patties.
Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the patties and let them cook for 5 minutes on each side. Once you insert a meat thermometer in the center, the temperature should be between 145-165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the patties reach this temperature, take them off the flame and keep aside.
Assembling The Burgers
Split the brioche buns from the centre and toast them slightly in the cast iron skillet.
Once toasted, spread some cranberry mayo on the base on the bun.
Top this with some fresh spinach leaves and the patty. Top it with some American cheese for added flavor and serve!
Serving: 1burger | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 400mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1.8mg
If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments below how it turned out for you! For more such Thanksgiving recipes, don’t forget to check out our recipe section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a regular potato be used in place of a sweet potato in this recipe?
You can use a regular russet potato if you would like to, in place of the sweet potato, in the same quantity. However, sweet potato does add a better texture and flavor to this burger.
Is it necessary to use a brioche bun for this burger?
Brioche bun, being extra buttery, does add a lot of flavor to the burger. However, in case you can’t get your hands on a brioche bun, you can use a regular potato bun instead.
Can cranberry sauce be used in place of cranberry mayo in this recipe?
You can use cranberry sauce in place of cranberry mayo if you would like. However, cranberry sauce will be much more tart in flavor, which may cause a difference compared to what the burger is originally supposed to taste like.
Can the burger patties be grilled instead of cooking them in a cast iron skillet?
Yes, if you have a burger grill handy, you can surely use it in place of a cast iron skillet to cook your burger patties.
Can turkey sausages be used along with ground turkey to make these burgers?
Yes, you can use additional turkey sausages too in this recipe, if you would like. The way I would recommend adding them would be to use ¼ parts of sausages and ¾ parts of ground turkey so that their total adds up to the quantity of turkey given above.
Can seasonings and flavorings other than pepper and sage be used to make these turkey burgers?
Yes, in case sage and pepper aren’t your favorite seasonings, and if you would like to use something else instead, you can very well do so as per your preference.
What will happen if the temperature of the burger goes beyond 165 degrees Fahrenheit?
If the temperature of the burger goes beyond 165 degrees Fahrenheit, there are chances that the burger will dry out and eventually taste extremely mealy.