This Crockpot Butter Chicken recipe is a deliciously spiced Indian dish that’s easy to make with the help of your slow cooker.
Butter Chicken is definitely one of my favorite Indian dishes. I was introduced to Indian food by my dad, or “pop” as I like to call him. We went to and Indian buffet and I was able to pick whatever looked yummy to me.
I was always a bit of an adventurous eater. My brother, on the other hand, I think wound up eating just naan and rice.
Butter Chicken was the first dish that I picked for myself. I think I was intrigued by the name. I mean, who doesn’t love butter! I tried it not knowing what to expect, and it was love at first bite. A creamy dish that’s not too spicy, it’s rich with just a hint of sweetness.
This make-at-home version is lightened up a bit from the traditional butter chicken recipe. It is made without any butter or heavy cream. Instead, it includes the addition of coconut milk to give it its creaminess.
The traditional Indian spices of ginger, garam masala, and curry blend nicely with the tomatoes to create a flavorful sauce that’s absolutely irresistible!
It’s a delicious meal that the whole family will love! Plus, this flavorful dish is even better the next day, so you may want to make a double batch!
Tip: Just use the recipe card below to adjust the portions. There’s no need to increase the cook time.
🛒 Ingredients Needed
- Chicken Breasts – or use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Olive Oil
- Garlic + Yellow Onion
- Coconut Milk – canned, full-fat coconut milk.
- Tomato Paste – adds a depth of flavor to the dish.
- Flour – helps to thicken the sauce.
- Fresh Ginger – or, use the kind from the tube that you can find in the produce department.
- Curry Powder + Garam Masala
- Chili Powder – use more or less, to taste.
- Fresh Cilantro – to garnish. This is optional
- Greek Yogurt – for topping. Can omit for a dairy-free option.
- Salt + Pepper
📋 How to Make It
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Add coconut milk, tomato paste, flour, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, chili powder, and salt & pepper. Cook until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Place raw chicken in crock pot and pour sauce over the top.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6 hours, or HIGH heat for 3 hours.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and greek yogurt.
✔️ How to Store
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a large skillet on the stove over medium heat.
Definitely! Simply combine the butter chicken ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for three hours or LOW for six hours.
Yes. Simply follow steps 1 and 2 as written, then add the chicken to your skillet. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
As written, this butter chicken recipe is not spicy. However, if you’d like to spice things up a bit, you can add in a little cayenne pepper or top your dish with some minced jalapeno or serrano peppers.
This is a keto-friendly butter chicken recipe. It is also paleo and low-carb. Try serving it over cauliflower rice.
🍴 How to Serve
🍷 Wine Pairings for Indian Butter Chicken
- A Riesling or Gewurztraminer are your best bet for pairing with this spicy dish.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
Did you try this slow cooker butter chicken?
If you loved this crockpot butter chicken recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
If you loved slow cooker butter chicken, be sure to try out my Instant Pot Butter Chicken too!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced )
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger (minced )
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless (skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- Greek yogurt (for topping)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and sauté until onions become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in coconut milk, tomato paste, flour, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, chili powder, and salt & pepper until well combined and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minute.
Place chicken into a slow cooker. Cover with sauce mixture. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours, or high heat for 3 hours.
Serve garnished with cilantro and greek yogurt.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Vitamin C: 5.7mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1.3mg
This post was originally published in 2014. It was updated in 2022 to add new information. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!